The Department of Consumer Affairs is part of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution. They give guidelines to help illegal trade practices and cover consumer rights. Being a part of the Department of consumer affairs, Legal metrology is the nonsupervisory Department that’s concerned with the operation of rules, regulations and procedures on measures and measuring instruments.
In simpler terms, Legal Metrology rules were established to regulate the applicable volume and credibility of measures used in all marketable deals, artificial product and Protection.
These rules and regulations may be called The Legal Metrology( packed goods) Rules, 2011. Some main rules to scrutinize are
- There should n’t be any packages constructed on the manufacturer’s demesne without the exposure of the retail trade price.
- The month and the time in which the commodity is packed must be conveyed on the packaging, either in words or by numbers.
- Any name and address of a company mentioned on the packaging marker without qualifying words ‘ manufactured by ’ or ‘ packed by ’ should be supposed as the manufacturer.
analogous to the rules mentioned over, The Government of Meghalaya, in discussion with the Central Government under section 53 of the Legal Metrology Act, 2009, has made Meghalaya Legal Metrology( Enforcement) Rules, 2011. They should reach out to the total of Meghalaya. As a result of the Legal Metrology(Numeration) Act, 2009, a number of rules have been made according to section 52 of the Act. Under this Act,
- Numbers must be expressed in decimal form.
- To represent any figures in integers, an transnational form of Indian numbers, i.e.,, should be used.
- There should be a base ten representation for every single number.
- still, they should be written in words, If figures expressed in integers exceed three.
The Indian Institute of Legal Metrology Rules, 201 is a rule framed by the Central Government to formulate the plan of action for operation and control of the Indian Institute of Legal Metrology.
- Any long- term and short- term courses in metrology and other confederated subjects should be communicated at the institute.
- There should be similar courses with similar duration as the commission may recommend.
To grease training, the institute should fulfil the following
- Prepare, publish and publish books, primers, notes, papers, textbooks, diurnals and other prominent documents grounded on varied other branches of study as the commission may recommend.
- Installation of outfit and conservation of laboratories within the demesne may be necessary to discharge its function rightly.
- Prepare as well as apply schemes intending towards the stimulation of universities and sodalities to impact primary education in legal metrology and confederated branches.
- Manifest relations and cooperation with other companies, agencies or organisations( whether in India or outside India) may be salutary in regard to the training and studies of legal metrology.
- Set up and maintain a library to encourage the study of legal metrology and confederated branches of knowledge. It may also be helpful in the exploration and development of legal metrology.
Legal Metrology( blessing of Models) Rules, 2011
Legal Metrology( blessing of Models) Rules, 2011 comes under the legal metrology act 2009. It means that all weights and measuring instruments will be tested and calibrated according to the norms in the legal metrology act.
Under the legal metrology model blessing rules 2011, the most pivotal aspect is to understand what’s a model blessing process.
The rules make it be by making obligatory testing of all the measuring instruments and weights at honored laboratories approved by the government of India and certified by NABL.
Numerous instruments come under the vittles of the Act of verification and estimation. The following is a list of some of these instruments
- Counter machines
- Beam scales
- Water cadence
- Clinical thermometer
- oil painting storehouse tanks
- Peg measures
- Length measures
- allocating pumps( petrol pumps)
The Legal Metrology( National Standard) Rules, 2011
Legal Metrology (National Standard) Rules, 2011 are concerned with units of weight under the Legal Metrology Act.
The units of weight and measure should be grounded on metric systems. Under this Act, the base units of different measures are given.
- In the case of Length, the base unit should be ” Metre “.
- As a base unit of Mass, kilograms should be used.
- The base unit of time “ Alternate ” should be the base unit of time.
- Electric current should be measured in amperes as the base unit. Ampere is the unit of electric current which equals the inflow of one Coulomb per second.
- A thermodynamic temperature should be measured in Kelvin as the base unit.
- Luminous intensity should be measured in Candelas as the base unit.
- The base unit of quantum of substance “ operative ” should be the base unit of luminous intensity.
Three different norms under this Act need to be conceded, i.e., reference standard, secondary standard and working standard.
- The term “reference standard” refers to a set of standard weights or measures that are manufactured by or on behalf of the Central Government for the verification of secondary standards.
- Secondary Standard The expression “ secondary standard ” stands for a set of standard weights or measures that’s manufactured for the verification of any working standard by or on behalf of the Central Government or State Government.
- Working Standard The expression “ working standard ” stands for a set of standard weights or measures that’s manufactured by or on behalf of the Central Government or State Government for the verification of any standard weight or measure other than a public prototype or public reference standard or secondary norms.
Having to meet numerous rules, regulations, and conditions is extremely necessary. still, it’s an extremely exhausting and backbreaking task. But, it does n’t have to be. That’s where numerous organisations like vakil hunt come in handy; as Vakil hunt’s label line says, “ legal is now simple ”, making it easy and straightforward to complete all the legal conditions. Vakilsearch is India’s most trusted platform that gives legal results.