Business owners often need to know how to change their registered office addresses for a variety of reasons, including changing both the physical location of their trading premises and the public information about their business. In practice, there are many reasons why one might need to know how to change registered office address. In your case, the address may refer to a location in your real-world area or to a virtual mailbox – we’ll talk about these in more detail later.
When it comes to changing your company’s address, the process does not appear particularly complicated on the surface of things. As a result, although the inevitable filling out of form is a relatively straightforward business administrative task, there are a few other considerations you should take into account when relocating your registered company.
A company’s business address can be changed in a variety of circumstances
In the following scenarios, changing a company’s address makes sense:
- There will be no change to the UK jurisdiction of the office.
- There is no need for the public to know your current business address.
- The current address should not be used by unwelcome visitors or unsolicited mail.
- You don’t want your brand image to be tarnished by your current address.
- Different addresses associated with a company need to be clearly distinguished.
A change of address requires certain documents
It is necessary for you to provide the following information when you apply to change in registered office address of your company:
- It is important that you provide full details about your company (such as its incorporation type, for example. *Company Name* Limited)
- Firm’s phone number
- A full address for the new registered office is provided below
In the event of a dispute regarding the address, originals or copies of the following may be required:
- Utility bills have been sent to you in the last six months
- Land registry records of deeds
- A written agreement must be signed before using the address
- Leasehold or freehold
- Dates of commencement and termination of a contract (written confirmation)
Procedure for Changing a Registered Office Address
If you want to change the address of your registered business in a quick and easy way, follow the five steps below.
Go to Companies House Webfiling
If you want to notify the agency online, go to the government portal and click “Start now”.
Additionally, the same page contains important information for applicants as well as instructions for applying via other methods (software or post).
Send us an email and enter your password
In addition to filing a company’s annual statement, returns, information about its members, etc, you can also use Companies House’s webfiling service to file information about the company.
The details must be filled in
Ensure that the new and old addresses are entered according to the instructions.
Submit Your Changes
Send the changes for processing after double-checking the information you’ve provided.
Wait for the confirmation email to arrive
Check your company’s information on the portal in a few days after receiving the confirmation email.
Your former registered office addresses continue to appear in the public register for the duration of the company’s existence and for 20 years following its dissolution.
Your details should also be updated through HMRC if you file a Self Assessment tax return.
How long does it take to change a registered business address?
The processing of the application for registration is usually carried out by Companies House within 2-3 working days after you submit it on line. If you submit it by post, it will take around 2-3 days as well, but this time frame was calculated from the day they received the paper form.